20 May 2014

Nigerian Girl Emerged Best Graduating Student at Dillard University, USA


The United States First Lady Michelle Obama joins other dignitaries to celebrate Merrilyn Akpapuna, a Nigerian girl that emerged the best graduating student at the Dillard University, New Orleans.

Like a giant masquerade in the market place, all eyes were on 20-year-old Nigerian, Merrilyn Akpapuna, two Saturdays ago at the Dillard University, New Orleans, United States.
The Psychology graduate not only obtained the highest academic honour Summa Cum Laude (first class), she also emerged the best graduating student in the ivory tower. As the institution’s valedictorian, she was on the same podium with the wife of the President, Michelle Obama, during its convocation.
Interestingly, three other Nigerians joined Akpapuna in the league of the best graduating students at the university. The three salutatorians are Victor Ogburie, Stephen Igwe, and Emole Anyadimgba. They also made a first class in their chosen disciplines.
Besides, Akpapuna won two other awards for highest academic achievements for the College of Arts and Sciences and College of General Studies.
In an online interview with our correspondent, the youngster says her success in the 155-year-old ivory tower was not without some challenges.
She notes, “When I first got to Dillard, I had to learn the differences in the spelling of certain words and adjust to a new metric system. These constituted challenges but I was able to overcome them by putting in extra time to study. I also faced some difficulties due to the difference in the education system. In Nigeria, the teaching system follows the British pattern, which is different from the system in the United States.
“However, despite these challenges, my cumulative grade point average is 4.0/4.0. In other words, I made an A in every course I took during my four years study in the university.”
But her stay in the US and particularly in the university was not all about academic work. She participated not just in student politics but also in other activities that affected humanity positively.
She adds, “My stay in the university was not all about studying. I took time out for my social life and made a great effort to ensure that my spiritual life did not suffer. I was also a student activist and a leader. I was the President of the African World Network Organisation and Lead Fellow of the Melton Foundation.
“At Dillard also, some of my awards and recognitions include the Daniel C. Thompson/Samuel Dubois Cook Honours Programme, Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honour Society, Dean’s List of Scholars, 1st Place for exceptional work in Algebra Relay, National Institute of Science, Beta Kappa Chi Honour Society, Alpha Kappa Mu national Honour Society, and Psi Chi National Honour Society.”
Again, for the youngster, her Dillard accomplishment is not just by a mere stroke of fortune. Excellence seems to be her middle name. Indeed, following her success at the Management Education Training, Ikeja where she took tutorials on Scholastic Aptitude Test, she received full scholarship to study in the university.
Before then, the third daughter of a dental surgeon, Emmanuel Akpapuna, had excelled in the West African Secondary School Certificate Examination, coming tops of her class at the Reagan Memorial Baptist Girls Secondary School, Yaba, Lagos.
The Delta State-born psychologist enthuses, “Upon graduating from secondary school, I took SAT classes in Management Education Training in Ikeja. I decided to come to the United States after I had received full scholarship offer for my tuition, room and board. In fact, I had scholarship all my four years in college.”
But being a female student, did she experience any case of sexual harassment from her lecturers and fellow students? Akpapuna, who says she wants to proceed immediately to the Western Michigan University for her graduate programme, says there was nothing of sort.
“Men did not disturb me on campus and no lecturer ever asked me for sexual favours. Again, let me tell you, the factors that brought about my success would have remained the same even in Nigeria. So, I believe I would have excelled in the same way if I had stayed in Nigeria,” she says.
Advising younger Nigerians who might want to follow her footsteps, she says, “Be ambitious and go for what you want and do not let anything stop you. Realise that there is time for everything. Set priorities and live by them.” - Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment